Friday, March 27, 2009

S.A.G. Messenger (Large) Bag Review


When I first took interest in these bags finding a solid review was nearly impossible, and when I did, it wasn't in English. Great. So I figured I would write a thorough review on the bag in case you were wondering how they held up/felt/looked/etc.

First things first.
How much can it hold!?!?
-I find the S.A.G. bag to be very comparable to a Chrome Metropolis bag ( I own both) which averages out to 2000 cubic inches. HOWEVER, I do find the Chrome bag to hold a bit more due to three factors.
1. The Chrome bag is "taller/slimmer" than the S.A.G. bag and can fit more vertically.
2. The Chrome bag seems to stretch more at the sides allowing you to cram everything in there.
3. The S.A.G. does not have adjustable straps/clips that can be found on Baily work/RELOAD/Chrome bags to make room for larger than normal loads which make it possible to carry.
- The S.A.G. bag has a pocket on the inside of the bag (which is semi-secret) that is about 10 inches wide/7.5 inches tall which stretches out about 4 inches.
- The S.A.G. has a bag within a bag that runs 18 inches long/12 inches tall which is secured by button on both ends of the bag. It has 4 large deep pockets/small zipper pouch/large zipper pouch. Its very handy for keeping everything organized and removing/installing is a matter of 5 seconds.

Locking Mechanism
-The bag has a locking system that is found on some of the old Tumbuk2 bags. It has 2 straps that loop around a metal clamp, when you push down on the clamp you can push down to loosen, or pull up to tighten. Same idea behind most toe straps. It only has one strap that you pull over your head. It may seem awkward at first due to most bags having some sort of clip or "seatbelt" type of locking (think Chrome bag);but once you get the hang of everything i.e. loosening/tightening/pulling over, the simplicity works well.

Comfort?

-The S.A.G. DOES have a shoulder pad, however it is very thin and it doesn't really feel like much support, which CAN lead to some shoulder pain after a good amount of time.
-The S.A.G. bag DOES NOT have a stabilizer strap which at first I was really bummed out about, but I find the bag to "mold" around the body which seems to hold up very well while riding, not much needed adjustment.
-The material feels really solid and has a sort of "rubber" feel to it which doesn't irritate the skin (at least not mine) at all.


Aesthetics
In my opinion bag is crafted beautifully. The simplicity/elegance of the bag make it stand out. The large white S.A.G. logo on the bottom stands out and the S.A.G. logo on the front of the strap is a nice touch too.
When I first took interest in these bags finding a solid review was nearly impossible, and when I did, it wasn't in English. Great. So I figured I would write a thorough review on the bag in case you were wondering how they held up/felt/looked/etc. They are also very easy to clean.

Waterproof?
Yes. When I first got the bag, the first test was to stuff the bag with paper then threw it in the shower and ran water directly on it for a good ten minutes. The paper was perfectly dry.
Id rather have found out it wasn't water proof under a controlled experiment, than having everything inside soaked on a rainy day.

S.A.G. bags can be found here. They normally run (for this particular model) about $130.00
Anything else I should cover/more photos just comment or send me a e-mail.
I have owned this bag for a few months now and I am very happy with it, it does everything I need it to do, and that's all I ask.
Hopes this helps any possible buyers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there.. Im thinkin about getting the Mdium one.. for daily use and to chuck my MAC BOOK 13' in.. will that work? and can u send me some photos of the strap , pad, button and some other cool details.. And ho safety balance strap.. so how do u deal with this.. is this balance enough while riding? will it fall and come on side? please email me at jinxkal@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete